Asians tend to have a low nose bridge, and when it comes to spectacles and sunglasses, nothing seems to fit well...
If you have worn glasses long enough, you will know very well that Asians might find it difficult to find well fitting glasses. The glasses seem to always want to fall forward, especially when you lean forward a bit, or look down, or do some physical activity or play sports. And that is not fun!
Traditionally, spectacle frames and sunglasses are based on European and American designs, and they are made for Caucasian bone structures. They don’t address those with low nose bridges and high cheekbones. It’s not that Asian features are “wrong”, it’s that eyewear isn’t designed for every face.
Metal frames may be easier to wear, because they have nose pads with adjustable arms. However, plastic frames can be very difficult to wear for Asians.
Before coming to Visio Optical, customers always say:
- I can’t find anything that fits me...
- My nose bridge is too low...
- My cheekbones are too high...
Why you need proper fit?
Having a proper fit is not just about aesthetics, it’s also about eye health.
With a correct fit:
- The eyes can see through the centre of lenses
- The image is clear
- There is no distortion
- The glasses are comfortable
When the frame is not fitting properly:
- The glasses slide down the nose
- They sit on the cheeks
- The lens cloud-up and gets dirty easily
- The glasses are uncomfortable
- The eyes see only through the top half of the lenses
- The image is less clear
- There is distortion of the image (radial distortion, chromatic aberration, etc.)
A correct fit helps seeing through the optical centre of the lenses, keeping the eyes healthy.
How can we help you?
Visio Optical recognises that a core demographic of our customers has gone largely ignored by mainstream spectacles and sunglass manufacturers. We will take care of your frame, and adjust it so that it will resist slipping down the your nose while providing ample cheek and temple clearance.
As first option, we will adjust the nose bridge on metal frames, and the earpiece on metal and plastic frames. But that’s only part of the solution.
We address the typical facial characteristics of Asians by utilising various modifications to address the design flaws inherent in standard frames:
- We can add nosepad titanium arms with silicone pads to plastic frames, for comfortable grip.
- We can alter the curvature of the frame design itself, to adjust the wrapping around your cheekbones.
- We can alter the curvature of the ear stems for a better grip around the head.
- We can add silicone self-adhesive pads to provide slip resistant comfort.
Can your own frame be fitted?
You might have bought spectacles or sunglasses that you liked, and then realised that they just don't fit properly. We can service your own frames, adjust or alter them to make them fit comfortably. Please bring your frames and our staff will give you a free assessment on the possible adjustments.